Re: Foster-parenting and taint

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Considering that WebKit has gotten away for this long with not having
> taint, I have to doubt the necessity of taint for Web compat.

Based on this and your feedback regarding your experience with HTML5
parsing in Gecko, I've changed the spec to not use taint.

Because this results in charaacter tokens being collected before
processing, and because a number of other places need to have character
tokens separated at whitespace boundaries, I ended up speccing this as a
new insertion mode for tables specifically that just collects the tokens
and then processes them. I don't especially like this, and it won't match
how it's implemented in practice, but the alternative (redefining the
tokeniser to pop out string tokens with a flag to decide when it should do
whitespace splitting or not) would have been much more invasive and
error-prone, so I decided it was for the best.