Re: ACTION-128: Draft @summary voting text in conjunction with PF

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> When you guys develop the wording, I'd suggest also having this as an
> explicit option:
>
> ( ) The text currently in the HTML5 spec is mostly fine, but should in
> addition make summary="" conforming for authors without encouraging it over
> other options:
>        http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/tabular-data.html#table-descriptions
>
> I believe this represents the point of view of many Working Group
> members better than the first two options, enough that it shouldn't be
> just a write-in.

I'm fine with having that as an option if we do have a vote, but wouldn't
allowing the use of this attribute fail to resolve the main issue being
raised here? Namely that authors don't understand what the text should be,
and if they use summary="", they don't see the text and don't fix it.

Why would we continue to allow people to use an attribute that we know
they get wrong all the time?