Re: How to make complex data tables more accessible to screen-reader users

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009, Sam Ruby wrote:

> I would encourage you to review and update the following wiki page:
>
>   http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/SummaryForTABLE

I've looked through this wiki page a number of times, but I don't know how
to update it. Most of the changes I would make would removing what I
consider weak or irrelevant arguments (for example, "We should investigate
any and all solutions that would help users (all users) understand the Web
better." is not an argument against the summary="" attribute), which I
presume would not be acceptable.

Could you elaborate on how you would like me to update it?

> > I would welcome input from the chairs regarding how to resolve this
> > issue.
>
> I would encourage you to work with Joshue O Connor:
>
>   http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/128

Could you elaborate? What should we do together?

> First, I don't believe that anybody has put forward a design which
> enjoys consensus that covers the use case of a "holistic overview" which
> is explicitly intended as a "closed caption for the visual impaired".

I don't think there is even consensus that there should be a solution
specifically for the visually impaired to the exclusion of other people.

> I personally think that ARIA is of a higher priority at this time, and
> would hope that work could begin and proceed in parallel while this
> group is waiting for the ARIA group to respond to last call feedback.

Please tell us how to resolve the table explanation issue. Other issues
are being addressed in parallel, but we also need to move forward with
_this_ issue, regardless of whether it is a high-priority issue or a
low-priority issue.