Re: Codecs for <audio> and <video>

From: Robert Sayre <rsayre@mozilla.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 15:40:47 -0700 (PDT)
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: public-html <public-html@w3.org>, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>

----- "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> Maybe once we're in last call I'll fork the spec
> into an HTML5 and an HTML6 and only do maintenance
> for HTML5, adding new features only to HTML6.

Actually, the W3C's licensing rules prohibit this kind of thing.

http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/IPR-FAQ-20000620#really

The restriction makes some sense. Otherwise, someone could unilaterally bump HTML's version number, which would be an act of social violence.[1] I am in favor of licensing the body of the HTML5 spec the spec under the most liberal terms, but I wouldn't want the license to allow titling derivative works in a way that would allow them to be confused with the IETF/W3C series of HTML specifications.

- Rob

[1] http://intertwingly.net/blog/2006/02/23/Version-Numbers/