Captions (was Re: Shifting gears for a second (was RE: Codecs for <video> and <audio>))

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 12:41:00 +1000
To: Matthew Ratzloff <matt@builtfromsource.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
Hi Matthew,

Let's not invent yet another caption file format. There are already
plenty out there, amongst them srt and the new DFXP of the W3C Timed
Text working group. I think these are more than adequate for
captions./.

Also, there have been a large number of proposals to link external
caption files to videos, amongst them:

http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/MultimediaAccessibilty
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Video_captioning
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2008-December/017732.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Sep/att-0118/html5-media-accedssibility.html

Most of them look rather similar, so let's see what implementations
and experiments the browser vendors come up with. So far we have had a
set of javascript implementations of some of the proposals and general
javascript hacks (see e.g. the examples pointed out at
http://blog.gingertech.net/2009/03/12/progress-on-captions-for-html5-video/).

Cheers,
Silvia.