Re: Shifting gears for a second (was RE: Codecs for <video> and <audio>)

On Jul 2, 2009, at 11:02 PM, jfoliot@stanford.edu wrote:

>> (1) Timed text tracks in the video file itself, with some form of
>> user control offered.
>
> Will end users be able to 'extract' the text from the media asset
> for repurposing (for example to Braille output device)? Will it
> allow for text resizing (for low vision users), or re-styling via
> CSS (adjusting foreground/background contrast aiding low vision and
> dyslexic users, etc.)? It would be very interesting to see the full
> proposal if it is public.

I don't think we've worked out the details. Timed text tracks are a
standard part of MPEG-4 and other common media standards. I think any
adjustment of the presentation of user needs would have to be by the
UA or assistive technologies, not by author CSS.

>> (2) Alternate video files with "burned in" captions, selected
>> according to user preferences and using the media="" attribute of
>> the <source> element, with some extensions we have proposed for
>> accessibility preferences. (*)
>
> While it is hard to be upset with a full-on accessibility strategy
> (so don't misunderstand me), I suspect that this type of involved
> solution would see little uptake from majority web developers.
> Unless you are suggesting that sometimes specialty solutions *are*
> acceptable... [mischevious grin]. However it is great news to hear
> that Apple for one is pushing the envelope here.

I'm told by our media folks that there is video content out there
where the only captioned form available is burned-in captions. In such
cases, transcribing the captions to a text track would be a
considerable burden, so we don't want to rule out using burned-in
captions.

[...]

>> Of these, I think a timed text track in the video is the
>> technically best solution. That way, accessibility is built into
>> the media file itself, regardless of viewing context. But all of
>> these options should be available.
>
> Agreed - *if* the text can be extracted simply and natively. This of
> course would also offer huge SEO benefits, as the transcript would
> not be 'hidden' inside a binary file ( as is currently the case with
> SCV files). I understand the desire to have everything wrapped up in
> one 'downloadable' file, but I am also leary of any solution that
> only sees captioning as a deaf / hearing impaired issue, which is
> the initial impression I get from burned in captioning...

Search engines could look at text tracks in MPEG-4 files now, if they
wanted to, since the way to do this is standardized, as I uunderstand
it.

>> We've also looked at the possibility of captions as an external
>> annotation in some declarative form, but I don't think we've
>> proposed a concrete solution along these lines.
>
> Thanks for the update Maciej, here's hoping these types of solutions
> are included in the draft - I think it would be incomplete to
> approach Last Call without this type of solution in the draft - be
> it the Apple suggestions or another.

I don't think any of these proposals would require a change to HTML5,
since they all work using existing features.

Regards,
Maciej