Shifting gears for a second (was RE: Codecs for <video> and <audio>)

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> If you're willing to encode video files twice, the following markup
> [1] will provide embedded video with CSS stylability and a consistent
> JavaScript API in the latest versions of Firefox and Safari, and in
> upcoming versions of Chrome and Opera, and likely in other upcoming
> WebKit-based browsers for mobile platforms:
>
> <video>
>      <source src="example-video.mp4" type="video/mp4" />
>      <source src="example-video.ogv" type="video/ogg" />
> </video>

This observer is, of course, concerned how/where the captioning piece is
in this example, and further where captioning is in the current spec.

In an earlier note from Silvia Pfeiffer,
[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jun/0667.html] she
noted that:

	"... it has been decided that the first version of HTML5 <video>
(and <audio>) will not have an in-built solution for captions, audio
annotations and the like, because it is possible to do such with
javascript and external files."

Really?  Who actually 'decided' this, as I for one would certainly not
take that lying down.  Was the WAI PF consulted on this piece of decision
making?  Or was it once again a back-room, IRC 'consensus' of a few?

JF