Re: Codecs for <video> and <audio>

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Maciej Stachowiak<mjs@apple.com> wrote:
> Note also that besides patent risk, there are issues of coding efficiency,
> availability of hardware implementations, and hardware in already shipping
> devices.

I still don't understand the hardware implementations argument. Are
you arguing that we should use h.264 as base codec despite its patent
situation? Or are you arguing that we should wait until there is some
un-encumbered codec with hardware implementations before we have a
base codec for the web?

Yes, having hardware implementations would be great, but so would a
lot of other things that we're dealing without.

/ Jonas