Re: Nothing is really hidden

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 9:58 PM, Steve Axthelm<steveax@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2009-07-01 Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I haven't used Dreamweaver for years. Does it automatically fill in
>> the @summary attribute, and not provide a way to edit it? If so, and I
>> believe there are Adobe folks in this group, perhaps they can explain
>> why they do so. I wouldn't think that the tool should do this, unless
>> it works with the author to ensure it does it correctly.
>
> Here's a couple...
>
> Dreamweaver CS3: Insert -> Table
>
> <http://pangram.org/w3/dw-new-table.png>
>
> Dreamweaver CS3: Table tag inspector:
>
> <http://pangram.org/w3/dw-table-tag-inspector.png>
>
> BBEdit 9.2.1: Markup -> Tables -> Table...
>
> <http://pangram.org/w3/bbedit-new-table.png>
>
> Regards,
>

> -Steve
>
> --
> Steve Axthelm
> steveax@pobox.com

Steve, thanks. I don't use authoring tools, but it is good to know
that summary is exposed to direct editing.

We have to assume, then, that for the most part, authors do have
direct access to summary, and are aware of its contents. In other
words, when the table is created, the summary attribute is not hidden.

Where the circumstances may differ, then, is when the value is added
programatically. But again, the authors of the program have control
over the value at that point.

Shelley