RE: Public feedback on HTML5 video

Hi Aryeh,

I understand your points, even though I have different opinions on some of them :-)

implicit vs. explicit
---------------------
However, please keep in mind that I was primarily making a point of implicit vs. explicit instructions.
If I tell the browser to do something, explicitly, then I expect precicely that to happen.
If however I say nothing, leaving it up to the browser to decide, introduces ambiguity.
As such I think it would be good to define what it means, should an author remain silent on a given choice.

buffering and bandwidth
-----------------------
As for buffering I agree that it would be wasteful to buffer everything, if it is not used.
Arguing in extremes may seem easy and clear, but is equivalent of looking only the tails of a bell curve.
The majority of cases usually lies somewhere in between and tends to represent the more difficult path :-)

Thus I find it preferable to enable the author to decide which video ought to be buffered and which not.
I especially mention that, and also the issue of bandwidth, for the cases you refer to
 - mobile users and developing countries.

It is the authors who know what's best for their audience, within their given context.
In the end, however, it is up to the user to decide if they like the content or not.
If authors make the wrong choices, users will vote with a click :-)

As such, enabling authors by giving choices and producing predictable results is, to me, preferable to not doing so.

-- Kai