RE: Public feedback on HTML5 video

Hi there,

I am not sure I follow the intricate details of the discussion, but
would like to make a couple of points from a content provider's point of
view.

Implicit behavior is not well suited to allow full author control of the
display.
Explicit behavior is always preferable.

The reason is that an action taken or not taken by an author should be
considered to be an explicit decision.
Such explicit decisions should then produce explicit behavior in
browsers which is predictable and can be corrected if so desired.

If it is left up to the browser to make an implicit decision, the
outcome is not predictable across browsers, based on implementation.
As such if something can be turned on in markup it should mean that not
doing so means the inverse...turning it off.

Referring to some of the things Maciej mentioned:
- buffering is a usability issue.  If something is displayed, buffering
ought to be used because it aids in smooth display
- bandwidth issues are not so big of an issue anymore.  While it is
important not to waste bandwidth, in the world of flatrates and
broadband, usability is more of an issue.
- whether a poster frame is loaded or not is a design issue and should
be up to author, including the choice which frame to show

-- Kai