Re: Public feedback on HTML5 video

On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 16:47:57 +0100, Gavin Carothers <gavin@carothers.name>
wrote:

> John Gruber of Daring Fireball on the autobuffer attribute for the
> video element:
>
> http://daringfireball.net/2009/12/html5_video_unusable

> "This attribute may be ignored altogether" should be removed from the
> spec.

I disagree.

> Summarized Rationale:
>
> Avoid downloading video on pay per megabyte connections, and avoid
> extra bandwidth from the publisher on video that won't be played.

It seems reasonable to ignore the attribute *especially* on pay-per-byte
connections. If I'm on a pay-per-byte connection, I never want to
autobuffer video, even if the attribute is present.

On the flip side, when using a file: URL, it seems reasonable to ignore
the attribute and always autobuffer, since that leads to better user
experience and doesn't use any bandwidth.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software