Re: ACTION-133: Develop an accessibility API and model for canvas as well as attributes to specify alternative content

On Dec 17, 2009, at 9:31 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Paul Cotton wrote:
>>
>> At this point the canvas working group is in agreement that we need a
>> shadow DOM with support for ARIA semantics. We have some test samples
>> and we need to get browser support to expose the shadow DOM to the
>> accessibility API.
>
> Can you clarify if you are using the term "shadow DOM" as defined by
> SVG,
> as defined by XBL, or in some new sense? I don't really understand
> what
> the difference is between the agreement referenced above and what
> the spec
> already requires.

I think the term "shadow DOM" is being used loosely, to refer to
content inside the <canvas> element, which would be exposed via
accessibility APIs even when it is not rendered. I think I may have
originally introduced the imprecise terminology into the discussion,
for which I apologize. I believe it is indeed true that the spec
already requires this, though perhaps the people working on the
proposal have refinements to suggest.

Regards,
Maciej