Re: Change Proposals and FPWD Resolutions

On Dec 9, 2009, at 8:34 AM, Krzysztof Maczyński wrote:

> Hi, Manu and Chairs!
>
> Dear Chairs, I'm with Manu in asking for this alternative to be made
> explicit in the poll. No need to have yet another Change Proposal
> differing only in this point.

As Sam said, you will be free to state objections to *both* proposals
on the table, if you feel you cannot live with either, and feel you
can state strong objections to both.

We would rather not directly include options in the poll that were not
in fact put before the Working Group. Only those that someone cared
enough to put before the group.

>> My
>> intent was to ensure that Microdata continues to be worked. I'm
>> averse
>> to giving the impression that we're prematurely tabling this
>> particular
>> technology.
> So am I. Indeed, as I hinted in my previous mail, Microdata has some
> advantages (*) over RDFa 1.0 and it would be wise to give them
> further consideration, probably within the work of the planned RDFa
> WG where political tension won't be so strong. Merging the two to
> combine their strengths would be a likely outcome, albeit not the
> only possible. I believe that by not publishing a Microdata WD in
> this WG won't put it at risk of being forgotten or neglected by the
> community interested in solving the use cases for lightweight
> extensible semantic annotation (or embedding of semantics, if
> somebody fancies encoding in RDFa something utterly unrelated to the
> document). The main benefits of Microdata are more likely to find
> their way to developers and users of the Semantic Web if the HTML WG
> doesn't publish it as a WD, since it would primarily serve as a
> political move against the work on RDFa and Semantic Web,
> extensibility and modularity in general.

I personally think that publishing Microdata as a Working Draft would
not preclude combining it with RDFa, if the proponents of both
technologies have a will to do that. However, if publishing it would
lead you to object to Manu's Change Proposal, with an objection that's
just as strong to your objection to leaving it in, then please do
object to both options.

Regards,
Maciej