Re: ISSUE-76: Need feedback on splitting Microdata into separate specification

Ian Hickson wrote
> On Mon, 7 Dec 2009, Martin McEvoy wrote:
>
>>> [...] the microdata processing model makes certain assumptions about
>>> the vocabulary. For SVG to reuse itemscope=""/itemprop=""/etc, the
>>> processing model would have to be rewritten to define how it works in
>>> SVG,
>>>
>> Hmm I don't know if that is an accurate assertion...
>>
>> .."The semantics of the RDFa attributes are the same as for XHTML"...
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/QA/2008/12/rdfa_and_svg_tiny_and_the_rdfa.html
>>
>> There are differences but not much ;)
>>

> RDFa is language-neutral by design. Microdata is language-specific by
> design. It's a pretty major difference (and is the source of some of
> microdata's benefits over RDFa), and it is highly relevant here. One could
> not simply say "the semantics of microdata attributes are the same as for
> XHTML", that just wouldn't work.

Ahh right I take it back then :)

Splitting microdata from the main HTML5 spec *is* a good thing then, It
would allow microdata to become language-neutral, and more modular,
allowing people to use and develop microdata for their own specs and not
worry too much about the effects, constraints or changes in HTML.

Best wishes

--
Martin McEvoy

WebOrganics http://weborganics.co.uk/