Re: ISSUE-53: mediatypereg - suggest closing on 2009-09-03

On Aug 31, 2009, at 14:46, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>>
>>> Not everything is a processing requirement (for instance, when an
>>> element carries certain semantics which do not actually affect
>>> processing in a UA).
>> What are semantics that don't trigger any observable processing in
>> any UA good for? When you say "recipient", do you mean a person or
>> a piece of software?
>
> It might trigger observable processing in *some* recipients.

People or software?

> Are you trying to say that we should remove all "semantic" elements
> if they do not have precise UA processing requirements?

I'm trying to say that "semantics" that don't trigger any observable
effects in any class of UA are mere styling/scripting hooks, and mere
styling/scripting hooks are an authoring-side convention--not a
something that implementors of receiving software need to be concerned
with beyond supporting generic styling/scripting mechanisms.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi