Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document

hi ian,

>WCAG2 gives very little advice regarding alternative text, at least an
>order of magnitude less than HTML5 itself does.

this statement is demonstrably false:

this is a list of the current advisory techniques provided in the WCAG 2.0
advisory documents.
Situation A: If a short description can serve the same purpose and present
the same information as the non-text content:

   1.

   G94: Providing short text alternative for non-text content that serves
   the same purpose and presents the same information as the non-text
content<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/G94>using
   *short* text alternative technique listed below

Situation B: If a short description can *not* serve the same purpose and
present the same information as the non-text content (e.g. a chart or
diagram):

   1.

   G95: Providing short text alternatives that provide a brief description
   of the non-text
content<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/G95>using
   *short* text alternative technique listed below *AND* one of the
   following techniques for *long* description:
   -

      G92: Providing long description for non-text content that serves the
      same purpose and presents the same
information<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/G92>using
      *long* text alternative technique listed below
      -

      G74: Providing a long description in text near the non-text content,
      with a reference to the location of the long description in the short
      description <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/G74>
      -

      G73: Providing a long description in another location with a link to
      it that is immediately adjacent to the non-text
content<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/G73>

Situation C: If non-text content is a control or accepts user input:

   1.

   G82: Providing a text alternative that identifies the purpose of the
   non-text content<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/G82>using
   *short* text alternative technique listed below

Situation E: If non-text content is a CAPTCHA:

   1.

   G143: Providing a text alternative that describes the purpose of the
   CAPTCHA <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/G143>
*AND* G144:
   Ensuring that the Web Page contains another CAPTCHA serving the same purpose
   using a different
modality<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/G144>

Situation F: If the non-text content should be ignored by assistive
technology:

   1.

   Implementing or marking the non-text content so that it will be ignored
   by assistive technology using one of the technology-specific techniques
   listed below
   -

      H67: Using null alt text and no title attribute on img elements for
      images that AT should
ignore<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H67>(HTML)
      -

      C9: Using CSS to include decorative
images<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/C9>(CSS)

*Short* text alternative techniques for use in sufficient techniques above

   1.

   H36: Using alt attributes on images used as submit
buttons<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H36>(HTML)
   2.

   H2: Combining adjacent image and text links for the same
resource<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H2>(HTML)
   3.

   H37: Using alt attributes on img
elements<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H37>(HTML)
   4.

   H35: Providing text alternatives on applet elements
   <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H35> (HTML)
   5.

   H53: Using the body of the object
element<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H53>(HTML)
   6.

   H24: Providing text alternatives for the area elements of image maps
   <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H24> (HTML)
   7.

   H86: Providing text alternatives for ASCII art, emoticons, and
leetspeak<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H86>(HTML)
   8.

   H30: Providing link text that describes the purpose of a link for anchor
   elements <http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H30>(HTML)

   *Note: *See * Understanding Success Criterion 2.4.4 Link Purpose (In
   Context)<http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/quickref/#navigation-mechanisms-refs>
   *.
   9.

   G196: Using a text alternative on one item within a group of images that
   describes all items in the
group<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/G196>

   -

   F30: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 and 1.2.1 due to using text
   alternatives that are not alternatives (e.g. filenames or
placeholder text)<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/F30>
   -

   F20: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 and 4.1.2 due to not updating
   text alternatives when changes to non-text content
occur<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/F20>
   -

   F3: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 due to using CSS to include images
   that convey important
information<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/F3>
   -

   F39: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 due to providing a text
   alternative that is not null. (e.g. alt="spacer" or alt="image") for images
   that should be ignored by assistive
technology<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/F39>
   -

   F38: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 due to omitting the alt-attribute
   for non-text content used for decorative purposes only in
HTML<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/F38>
   -

   F71: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 due to using text look-alikes to
   represent text without providing a text
alternative<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/F71>
   -

   F72: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 due to using ASCII art without
   providing a text
alternative<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/F72>
   -

   F65: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 due to omitting the alt attribute
   on img elements, area elements, and input elements of type
"image"<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/F65>
   -

   F67: Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1 and 1.2.1 due to providing long
   description for non-text content that does not serve the same purpose or
   does not present the same
information<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/F67>

with regards

Steve Faulkner