Re: Proposal: <content> element

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Bill Lipa<dojo@masterleep.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 02:56:41 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>
>> We already have a way to mark up the content that isn't the header,
>> footer, sidebars, or navigation: it's the markup that isn't the <header>,
>

> It is harder to apply CSS styles to "markup that isn't nested in some other
> element".
> The main part of the content is likely to need CSS styles in many pages, so
> having an element like <main> would be simpler for authors.

...but as Ian said, if you need a styling hook, use a <div>; either:

   HTML:
      <section>
         <header>header</header>
         <footer>footer</footer>
      </section>
   CSS:
      .main { ... }
      .main a { ... }

or

   HTML:
      <section>
         <header>header</header>
         <footer>footer</footer>
      </section>
   CSS:
      section>div  { ... }
      section>div a { ... }

(that being said, Anne's argument is quite compelling... so for the
moment I have no strong opinion one way or the other on the subject)

--
Thomas Broyer