Re: ISSUE-53: mediatypereg - suggest closing on 2009-09-03

On Aug 25, 2009, at 3:27 PM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2009, at 11:42 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>> I don't think that section 12.2 satisfies the issue.  What is wrong
>>> with defining the elements and attributes where an implementor of
>>> "text/html" is going to need to know about them and simply mark
>>> those
>>> features as deprecated?  For example, <a name> has required
>>> processing
>>> associated with it, so why not just define that under <a>?
>>
>> As an implementor, I think the required processing is sufficiently
>> defined,
>
> As an implementor of content management systems, HTML generators,
> and link management tools, I do not consider it defined at all.

Content management systems and HTML generators should not output the
name attribute. They should use id instead. That much is stated. What
else do they need to know? I don't know what link management tools
would want to do with <a name>; if you can give some examples it might
be easier to see what is missing.

>> Do you think anything specific about <a name> (whether authoring
>> requirements, implementation requirements or anything else) needs
>> to be defined, but isn't? Or is it just a matter of where in the
>> spec the information is found? I can file a bug for you if you feel
>> that needed info is missing and if you can tell me what it is.
>
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/define
>
> HTML 4.01 spec has attribute definitions.  HTML5 draft does not.

That doesn't really clarify anything for me, I'm afraid.

> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#h-12.2
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-a-element

See the last paragraph before the note in this section (starting with
"Authors should not specify..."):
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#obsolete-but-conforming-features

Can you clarify why what HTML4.01 says is a definition, but that
paragraph is not?

Regards,
Maciej