Re: Spec with issue markers [was: Re: HTML5-warnings - request to publish as next heartbeat WD]

James Graham wrote:
> This is now done; it is possible to generate the HTML5 spec with static
> inline status markers (pulled from the WHATWG annotation system) and
> ISSUE markers pulled from tracker (currently OPEN and RAISED issues; it
> should be no problem to add PENDING REVIEW if necessary). Some sample
> output is at [1]. My branch of anolis, and hence http://pimpmyspec.net,
> has gained the ability to add these annotations and pimpmyspec.net also
> gained the ability (at [2]) to generate a combined annotations/issues
> file of the type needed as input when adding issue markers to a spec.
>
> ISSUE/section associations are picked up from tracker by looking for
> strings in the description field of the form:
>
> HTML5-SPEC-SECTIONS [section1 section2 section3]
>
> i.e. a magic identifier followed by a square-bracket-enclosed,
> space-separated list of ids.
>
> I suggest that we add such status/issue markers to the W3C versions of
> the spec henceforth. This would seem to address many of the points made
> in favour of publishing the "warnings" draft in the recent poll without
> tripping over the substantial objections.

James, thanks a lot for putting this together. Ian, thanks for
incorporating it. Manu, thanks for triggering the discussion. And,
Maciej thanks a *lot* for the work on actually getting the number of
open issues down.

BR, Julian