Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document

On Aug 20, 2009, at 15:06, Jan Richards wrote:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> Given enough rope, Web authors do the wildest things for the
>> craziest reasons. However, here's a plausible non-crazy failure
>> scenario:
>> Author A creates a document using an authoring tool and fails to
>> make the document accessible. The authoring tool inserts the
>> "ignore" marker. Later, author B in author A's organization
>> addresses the problem that the document is inaccessible. Author B
>> adds sensible alt text using a text editor. While author B has read
>> introductions to Web accessibility to know about alt, author B
>> isn't aware of the finer points of HTML syntax and fails to remove
>> the "ignore" marker. Now the document is still inaccessible in UAs
>> that honor the "ignore" marker. Author B could even test the
>> document in older UAs without noticing the problem.
>
> I see. Perhaps this could be addressed somewhat by advising
> authoring tools to automatically undo the "missing" mechanism if an
> author edits the @alt value.

That author B uses a text editor and not an HTML-aware authoring tool
is a key part of the scenario. I think it's a realistic key part.

The way to mitigate this is to make only validators and authoring
tools sensitive to the "missing" marker and not to make browsers/AT
sensitive to it at all.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi