Re: Current PFWG thinking on ARIA integration in host languages

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:53:54 +0200, Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org> wrote:
> Because authors don't always do as they're told, we have to define what
> happens when authors don't respect that rule. In the case of host
> language features that have the implicit semantic of an ARIA state or
> property, the host language feature wins. Authors should not be using
> ARIA states and properties in these cases, and are assumed to have paid
> more attention to updating the host language feature than the ARIA
> feature. However, in the case of roles, the ARIA feature wins, even for
> weird situations.

So in case a role is specified (and wins) I assume states and properties
also "win" but they may not if the role is not specified?

E.g. in order to report to AT that

   <input type=checkbox checked aria-checked=false>

is in fact not checked I would have to do

   <input type=checkbox role=checkbox checked aria-checked=false>

Is that correct?

> This is because there are many use cases in which
> authors need to repurpose elements with roles that we as specification
> developers didn't necessarily account for. Since ARIA is intended to add
> semantics particularly for these unusual situations, it is important
> that ARIA roles be given precedence by the user agent.

Would it be possible to list some of these use cases?

Could you perhaps explain why the approach in

   http://hsivonen.iki.fi/aria-html5-bis/

e.g. having strong and weak semantics was not workable? I am personally in
favor of that approach as it makes things align more closely with the
native semantics of HTML elements.

Kind regards,

--
Anne van Kesteren