Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> As for whether we have an agreement in principle: I believe that we do
> not have one yet. First, the PFWG reps on the call were very clear that
> the ideas they described on host language semantics and ARIA were
> tentative. I believe all agreed that PFWG should put their thoughts on
> the record in email as the next step. Second, the PFWG reps on the call
> agreed that the comments about the role attribute were interesting, but
> did not state a position on whether ARIA would be changed to reflect
> them, though they did agree to take these comments back to PFWG. I
> believe once these two points are addressed, then we will in fact have
> an agreement in principle. Does your recollection differ from mine?

What I want to do is to break the logjam of "I won't respond until the
other side puts their thoughts on the record".  I would like us to
proceed based on the premise of an agreement in principle, even if it is
subject to change.

The following is draft thoughts, subject to change, and we have the
ability to influence these thoughts:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/0962.html

My recollection was that you thought this was sufficient, and upon
reading Michael's post, I found nothing that surprised me.  But I am not
as close to the problem as you are, let me know if you read this
differently.

More immediately, the status of issue-35 (aria-processing) is open.
Cynthia Shelly had action 114 to get the PF working group to report
progress.  Unless I hear differently, I am going to assume that that
action is complete, and therefore want to know what the next action is,
who owns that action, and when it is due.

Based on my (admittedly limited) understanding of the issue, a
reasonable next step is for somebody to draft a matrix of potential
combinations[1].  Even if some (or even many) of the squares in the
matrix are wrong, the exercise will be useful in that that should spark
useful discussion.

As far as I can see, the options are:

1) Proceed to last call without ARIA with the intention of adding ARIA
in after last call.  I don't know what others think, but don't think
this meets the spirit of Last Call.

2) As this is in the critical path, re-prioritze workload to get the
right people looking into this issue, with the hopes of pull back in the
Last Call date.

3) Move out last call.

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://tinyurl.com/qb94po