Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document

On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Smylers wrote:

> Aria is specifically about accessibility for those with disibilities.
> A user without any disabilities using, say, Lynx or Firefox with images
> turned off, would not be using any technology that processes aira-*
> attributes.  As such she would not see an alternative to the missing
> image, and would not know the purpose of the link.
>
> We (HTML WG) need to ensure that HTML 5 continues to cater for to users
> with 'non-mainstream' set-ups even when ignoring all Aria-specifc
> features.

This is quite an important point -- ARIA is intended as an accessibility
API layer above the semantics of HTML. As such, we really need to consider
ARIA markup to be a last resort. I don't think, even with ARIA as an
integral part of the language, that it makes sense for us to be making
conformance predicated on including ARIA markup. That is, I don't think
that removing ARIA markup should ever make a page non-conforming.