Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document

On Aug 17, 2009, at 12:30 AM, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2009, at 10:11, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
>> * "After the end of an authoring session, the authoring tool does
>> not attempt to repair alternative content for non-text content
>> using text content that is equally available to user agents (e.g.,
>> the filename is not used)." (Quoted from ATAG 2)
>>
>> * Autogenerated alt="image", alt="" and alt=" " violate the ATAG 2
>> language quoted in the previous point.
>>
>> * Autogenerated alt="photo" might be spun not to violate it but
>> practically isn't materially different from alt="image".
>>
>> * Autogenerated role=presentation doesn't violate the ATAG 2 point
>> literally but does in spirit.
>

> * If @title is considered to function as a substitute for alt in the
> absence of alt, the same autogeneration considerations apply to
> @title as well.

If that's so, then HTML5 is in conflict with ATAG2, as applied to
authoring tools.

My interpretation, on studying ATAG2 more closely: I do not believe
the use of title to describe an image whose contents are unknown would
meet the ATAG2 definition of "alternative content":

<http://www.w3.org/TR/ATAG20/#def-Equivalent-Alternatives>
"Content that is used in place of other content that a person may not
be able to access. Alternative content fulfills essentially the same
function or purpose as the original content..."

In such a case, the title does not have the "same function or purpose
as the original content", rather it is a best-effort attempt to
provide *something* given the lack of a proper alternative.

ATAG2 only allows alternative content to be autogenerated if the
author is given the opportunity to accept, modify or reject. But it
doesn't have such a requirement for textual descriptions that are not
alternatives.

I am not sure if this reasoning is in the spirit of ATAG2. For that
matter, I am not sure if the HTML5 approach will lead to good
accessibility outcomes compared to the alternatives. But that is my
reading of the letter of the relevant specs.

Regards,
Maciej