Re: feedback requested on WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 document

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Hi Sam,
>
> On Aug 16, 2009, at 7:51 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> Item #3 begs the question as to whether or not the current proposal in
>> Ian's Editor's Draft is the result of consensus.  It also presumes
>> that invalidating one spec by another is not best practice, something
>> that the current HTML5 draft does in a number of occasions.
>>
>> And the suggestions above (and by that, I mean the whole list: items 1
>> through 5) would seem like a more credible proposal if you could point
>> to a consolidated place where the current differences between the CG
>> Consensus Resolution and the HTML Working Draft have followed the
>> above procedure.
>>
>> Steven Faulkner posted a resolution.  I will note the following
>>
>> 1) Ian Hickson[1][2]: "I don't understand"
>> 2) Maciej Stachowiak [3][4][5]: "The material differences ... are"
>> 3) Henri Sivonen [6]: "the following procedure should be followed"
>>
>> Between the three of you, nobody has provided any feedback on the
>> resolution itself.  Collectively, you are suggesting a burden of proof
>> that you are not ready, willing, and able to meet yourselves[7][8].
>
> I'd like to give my feedback in the form of recommending changes to the
> current HTML5 draft to be more in line with this proposal.

Cool.

> To do that, I need to first understand clearly what the Resolutions
> document is asking for.

Understood.

> And I want to help the supporters of this
> document understand which aspects are already satisfied by the HTML5
> draft.

Cool.

> I believe I have demonstrated a capacity to expand understanding
> among people who disagree, given sufficient discussion.

Unquestionably.

> I don't see how trying to better understand the document constitutes an
> unreasonable burden of proof.

No, but asking for people to justify[1] changes to a spec that has not
yet been determined to represent consensus does.

> Nor do I see how it will help us achieve
> consensus for you to interfere with the process of mutual understanding.

I don't see how asking people to provide the feedback requested is
"interfering".  And at this time, I would like to thank Henri for
actually doing so[2].

> Would it be better if I just decided for myself what the document means,
> without asking for confirmation or clarification?

No.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/0828.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Aug/0834.html