Re: <progress> element and attributes vs. content

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Tab Atkins Jr.<jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Jonas Sicking<jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

>>> I'm wondering if it's possible to revise the algorithm to ignore
>>> grouping glyphs commonly used internationally.  Even using the , as a
>>> thousands separator, as is common in English, would break parsing.
>>
>> Actually, i noticed that "75 out of 100" is not a problem. The
>> algorithm says that the maximum number is the higher of the two, and
>> the current value is the lower.
>>
>> However that makes something like this fun:
>>
>> <progress>200 av 1,024</progress>
>>
>> Is that 20% (comma interpreted as thousand separator) or is that 0.5%
>> (comma interpreted as decimal separator)?
>
> Indeed.  ;_;  I hate the ./, swap between various continental languages.
>
> I would be inclined to take the English tradition (, as thousands
> separator, . as decimal separator) as the default, as it is more
> common on the web than the other.  Otherwise, there is *literally* no
> way to resolve the ambiguity.

By that logic I would say that we should use Mandorin or Hindi/Urdu
tradition as those are more commonly[1] spoken languages than English,
thus I think it's a good guess that eventually they will be more
common on the web.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

/ Jonas