Re: Feedback on the current editor's draft

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 8:07 AM, Smylers<Smylers@stripey.com> wrote:
> Ian Hickson writes:
>
>> On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Adrian Bateman wrote:
>>
>> > Personally, I'd prefer to remove the element content parsing and
>> > always make the progress bar rendering depend on the attributes.
>>
>> I guess we could do that; what do other people think?
>
> When I gave a conference presention introducing HTML 5 the content
> parsing of <progress> was one of two points to get spontaneous applause
> from the audience (the other was the HTML 5 doctype).
>
> The audience were programmers, so I guess the notion of 'don't repeat
> yourself' appealed -- not having to specify the same thing in both the
> fallback text and the attributes, and risking one being updated without
> the other.

Agreed precisely; the content parsing is both useful (in that we only
have to specify things once, visible vs invisible metadata and all
that) and just plain cool.  ^_^

Removing it would immediately kill a lot of the appeal of the element,
and almost certainly end up with more people *only* updating the
attributes and letting the content drift out of sync (once <progress>
starts getting UA support, that is).

~TJ