Re: <canvas> and the 2D context API (was RE: Begin discussions for pushing Last Call into 2010)

On Aug 12, 2009, at 5:56 PM, Shelley Powers wrote:

> If we were to split the API into a separate document, could it
> progress at a different pace than the main HTML 5 specification?

To a limited extent, yes. But HTML5 would likely have a normative
reference to a Canvas API spec, so there is a limit. Per W3C rules,
you can't normatively reference a document that's more than one
maturity level apart. So we couldn't go to CR (and thus couldn't enter
LC) until the Canvas API draft reached Working Draft status, and we
couldn't go to PR until the Canvas API draft reached CR.

> Could it also have a different editor or set of editors?

Yes. But I expect Ian is unlikely to remove the current
CanvasRenderingContext2D section until someone demonstrates they can
do the work by actually producing a viable separate draft. And I
expect much of the Working Group would feel the same way.

> (Note though that even if we take out the 2D graphics context, the
> element still belongs in the HTML spec, as it's part of the
> language. So technically "<canvas>" still would be in the spec; just
> the graphics context API would be taken out. One could argue that
> that would lead to the spec being overly confusing to implementors,
> who generally prefer things in one place to implement them, as it
> leads to fewer "cracks between the specs".)"

I do think there is the risk of confusion in such a case.

> Now, I do agree that the Canvas _element_ belongs in the HTML
> specification, but the API should be split out. Doing so would also
> work in well with the ongoing effort to incorporate accessibility.

To the contrary, I think splitting out Canvas could harm the
accessibility work, for reasons stated in my other email.

Generally speaking: Over the past two years, a number of people have
expressed interest in the existence of a separate spec for the API,
but no one has actually done it. The time window to produce a draft
that could receive adequate consideration before Last Call is limited.
I believe a quality draft would receive fair consideration. Note that
this is considerably more complicated than just cut/pasting a big
chunk of text out of HTML5. That would leave many dangling references
and unclear definitions in both directions. But I believe that it is
doable, and there would be some technical advantages to making the
CanvasRenderingContext2D API more readily reusable. I also suspect Ian
would consider doing the work himself post-HTML5, if no one else gets
to it by then.

Personally, I don't think it's worth raising this as an issue until
someone produces a draft or volunteers to do so on a reasonable
deadline. This task has not really gone anywhere as a wishlist item.

Regards,
Maciej