Re: HTML5-warnings - request to publish as next heartbeat WD

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, Manu Sporny wrote:

> If we are carefully writing the HTML5 standard so that it provides
> browser interoperability and some other working group willfully violates
> parts of the HTML5 standard, I would expect that we would take issue
> with that.

If some other working group contradicts parts of HTML5 because HTML5 is
wrong, then I wouldn't take issue, I'd fix HTML5. Unfortunately other
groups haven't always had quite the same commitment to documenting what
implementations do.

Having said that, are there are any violations in the HTML5 spec that
aren't already called out in the spec? I thought I had put text about each
occurance. You didn't put warnings for each one; how did you pick which
ones to add the additional warning to?

> I also note that we have less than 3 months to LC -- a time when a great
> number of people start raising issues and concerns related to the
> specification.

There's a reason the timetable expects us to be in LC until 2012. :-)

Personally I have to say that I don't see much point in adding warnings to
the spec. I support your right to have the working group publish your
edits, but I don't think it's an especially good idea. I don't really see
what the point is. We already work in public, our lists of open issues are
all very open and accessible to all. If they're not open enough, then we
should work on that, we shouldn't add yet another issue list (this would
be what, the fifth?), asthat will just confuse people.