Re: HTML5-warnings - request to publish as next heartbeat WD

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009, Manu Sporny wrote:

> 2. Two other independent voices to support the publishing of this draft.
>    Without those voices, this proposal cannot be considered for
>    publishing.

I support publishing Manu's draft.

> 1. That this version is published as the next heartbeat
>    Working Draft. Specifically, this is not a FPWD since there are no
>    technical changes and thus there are no additional patent concerns.
>
> 3. A poll is created with two options:
>    [ ] Publish Ian's latest draft to address the heartbeat requirement.
>    [ ] Publish Ian's latest draft with Manu's warning language to
>        address the heartbeat requirement.
>
>    Whichever option that receives more than 50% of the vote will be
>    published. A tie will result in Ian's latest draft being published.

I would prefer to just publish both.

> http://html5.digitalbazaar.com/specs/html5-warnings-diff.html#urls

This warning is incorrect; the section has already been edited such that
it no longer conflicts with the other specs; the relevant text has been
extracted and is being edited by Larry in the IRI spec.

> http://html5.digitalbazaar.com/specs/html5-warnings-diff.html#fetch

This warning is incorrect; the MIMESNIFF spec would not affect the
fetching algorithm.

> http://html5.digitalbazaar.com/specs/html5-warnings-diff.html#misinterpreted-for-compatibility

This warning may be correct (I don't know how much consensus this section
enjoys), but the entire HTML5 effort is predicated on being accurate
rather than politically correct, so it seems unlikely that the section
will change for the reasons stated.

> http://html5.digitalbazaar.com/specs/html5-warnings-diff.html#implied-strong-reference

It's unclear what is controversial about this section. Could you
elaborate? How else can we have interoperable behaviour without defining
what references are present?

> http://html5.digitalbazaar.com/specs/html5-warnings-diff.html#sections
> http://html5.digitalbazaar.com/specs/html5-warnings-diff.html#the-bb-element
> http://html5.digitalbazaar.com/specs/html5-warnings-diff.html#predefined-type

These warnings imply that these is the only aspects of the specification
that have outstanding comments, but we have over 600 outstanding e-mails,
issue markers, and bugs, so calling out a single set of issues from one or
two such e-mails seems quite odd. For example, why not call out the
"controversy" over whether <xmp> should have a U+000A line feed inserted
after its start tag in the innerHTML serialisation algorithm? Or the
"controversy" over whether we need a full-screen API or other mechanism
for <video>? Or the "controversy" over whether we need a replaceState()
method as well as a pushState() method? All of these are equally important
issues that have outstanding comments.

> http://html5.digitalbazaar.com/specs/html5-warnings-diff.html#microdata

Here I think we see the real reason you are doing this.

> http://html5.digitalbazaar.com/specs/html5-warnings-diff.html#navigating-across-documents

Actually "Origin" is renamed "Sec-From" and I just haven't gotten around
to updating that part of the spec yet. It's not really controversial as
far as I'm aware.

> http://html5.digitalbazaar.com/specs/html5-warnings-diff.html#obsolete

Reopening that issue seems unwise given the difficulty we had in reaching
a compromise in the first place. However, if you do want to include such a
warning, it's probably best to also say that having the attribute be
included at all is itself quite controversial, and that the attribute
might be removed altogether.

Incidentally, your document appears to remerge together multiple
specfications that I thought we had established should be separate
documents, like Web Sockets (indeed there is an IETF/W3C agreement that
the protocol part of that shouldn't ever even be in a W3C spec), the SQL
database stuff (which really _is_ controversial, though you don't appear
to have noted anything to that effect), etc. Also, it seems your document
has differences that aren't marked up, e.g. the introduction to offline
Web apps is missing some of the examples.