Re: summary attribute compromise proposal

On Aug 4, 2009, at 1:56 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> On Aug 4, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Laura Carlson wrote:
>>> Hi Shelley,

>>> +1
>>>
>>> Table summary is an open issue in the HTML WG Tracker.  And it
>>> should
>>> be marked as open in the spec, whether John's or Ian's or some
>>> combination of words are used.
>>>
>>> Cynthia Shelly has Action 128 to "Work with PF to find an owner for
>>> drafting @summary text proposal" [1]. Let's give Cynthia a chance.
>> I'm not inclined to withdraw my compromise proposal, just because
>> someone else has 9 days left to find yet another person to
>> eventually make a different proposal. But I welcome comments on the
>> substance.
>
> No one is asking you to withdraw your proposal.  I believe that all
> that is being pointed out is that Cynthia will not forfeit her
> opportunity to present a proposal simply because you have prepared
> one.

I haven't asked anyone to forfeit their opportunity to present a
proposal. But my perception (perhaps incorrect) was that this was
cited as a reason to fail to give substantive consideration to my
proposal at this time.

> I will confirm that Cynthia is making good progress.  I met with her
> last week and this week I have seen a first draft of @summary text
> proposal that hopefully she will be ready to present to the group
> shortly.  If you are looking towards producing something that could
> be workable as a long-term solution, it would make sense to factor
> this in.
>
> I will also note that Cynthia has not historically had the bandwidth
> to participate in this mailing list, but often does find the time to
> attend the weekly teleconferences.
>
> I am quite willing to decouple the near term need for a poll (should
> there still be a desire to have one) from your activities (which
> apparently are focused on the longer term).

I'm willing and able to attend the telecon this week to discuss my
summary="" proposal, as well as anyone else's, if you think that would
be helpful.

Regards,
Maciej