Re: My final attempt on explanation (was RE: [DRAFT] Heartbeat poll - update 2)

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Ian Hickson<ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> This is not the only kind of data that is being proposed as advisable for
> the summary="" attribute. Take John's example, for instance:
>
>   summary="Schedule for Route 7 going downtown. Service begins at 4:00 AM
>   and ends at midnight. Intersections are listed in the top row. Find
>   the intersection closest to your starting point or destination, then
>   read down that column to find out what time the bus leaves that
>   intersection."
>
> This information is as useful for the visually impaired as for anyone
> else.

So we agree that there is information pertaining to a table that would
be benefit both sighted users and non-sighted users.  I would agree
that caption _IS_ an appropriate place for that type of information
(including some sentences from John's example).  But I feel this is
actually irrelevant to the discussion.

What is being stated is that there is information pertaining to a
table that would be beneficial to non-sighted users but redundant (and
possibly distracting?) for sighted users.  Things like merged
columns/rows, quick synopsis of the 'axis' of a table, etc.  Do you
disagree with this?

> In practice, strictly structural data can be gleaned by navigating the
> table (if you watch usability studies if users with ATs reading tables,
> they quickly get a feel of the table by navigating it, without the need
> for a descripion of the table structure).

It sounds like you disagree with the idea that spatial/structural
information about a table is useful for non-sighted users because you
watched some usability studies.  Please correct my assessment.

Jeff