Re: Publishing Design Principles in Addition to Publishing the HTML5 Spec or Specs

On Aug 2, 2009, at 3:39 AM, Laura Carlson wrote:

> Hi Sam,
>
> You wrote to John [1]:
>
>> The way I would prefer to proceed with issues like this is for people
>> like yourself to draft an even-toned text expressing the fact that
>> this
>> is an "open issue" (indicated in red boxes in the document, and
>> marked
>> up with class="XXX") and for the draft to be published after this has
>> been added to the document.  By even toned, I mean that things like
>> "unresolved" and "direct contradiction with WCAG 2 Guidance" are
>> fine,
>
> In addition to publishing the spec or specs I suggest publishing the
> Design Principles with an appropriate "open issue" marker, noting the
> concern regarding the accessibility principle, if Maciej does not
> incorporate the requested changes [2] [3].

I don't think the Design Principles document is ready for a new
Working Draft at this time - I have some pending comments to review
before it's worth republishing. Right now the changes from the last
draft are minor and do not include some of the larger planned
improvements.

> The following is suggested text for the notice:
>
> "The meaning of accessibility in the accessibility design principle
> conflicts with the W3C Web Accessibility Initiative's meaning of
> accessibility. [4] Other related unresolved issues have been
> identified regarding the accessibility principle."

WAI is welcome to publish a document stating that they disagree with
the Design Principles document. As a non-member of WAI, I don't think
it's my place to express their position. However, I would advise
waiting for the next round of changes in response to feedback.

I would also appreciate if you could explain the conflict. It looks
like the Design Principles are in alignment with your reference for
WAI's definition:

"Web accessibility means that people with disabilities can use the
Web... Web accessibility also benefits people without
disabilities..."  - WAI
"Design features to be accessible to users with disabilities. Access
by everyone regardless of ability is essential..." - HTML Design
Principles

If you'd like, I can include the exact words from WAI above in the
Accessibility priniciple.

Regards,
Maciej