Re: <video> feedback

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> >
> > The video size overrides the poster size if both are available.
> >
> > On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> > > I don't think it makes much sense to start scaling the poster when
> > > the video dimensions become available.
> > >
> > > Normally authors should ensure that the poster is the same size as
> > > the video. If they don't, then I think we should change the size of
> > > the video when we switch from displaying the poster to displaying
> > > the video.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean here. Surely the most important thing is to
> > render the video at its native size in the absence of an override; the
> > poster frame shouldn't affect this.
>
> Yes, the most important thing is to render the video at its native size
> *while we're displaying the video*. While we display the poster, we
> should display it at *its* native size.
>
> As currently specified, a slow-loading video with no size overrides, where
> the video size is 200x200 and the poster size is 100x400, will go through
> the following visual states:
> 1) nothing at 300x150
> 2) displaying the poster image at 100x400
> 3) displaying the poster image at 200x200
> 4) displaying the video at 200x200
> State 3 seems unnecessary and undesirable.

This is:

1) black 300x150 box
2) poster image at 100x400
3) poster image resizes to fit 200x200
-  user agent waits for user
-  user clicks play
4) video playback starts

I think this is preferable to the alternative, which is:

1) black 300x150 box
2) poster image at 100x400
-  user agent waits for user
-  user clicks play
3) user interface changes size to 200x200
4) video playback starts

> (whether it is scaled to fill the square, or given
> aspect-ratio-preserving treatment, seems unclear in the spec)

I've clarified this.