Re: SVG in text/html

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 11:35 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Jeff Schiller wrote:

>> > What difference would the word "strongly" make?
>>
>> Since you obviously understand the word 'strongly' and do not need a
>> lesson on what an adverb does, can you clarify the reason you do not
>> want to strengthen the language of this paragraph in some way?
>
> The spec uses the phrase "user agents are encouraged" many times, but it's
> not clear why in comparison to those, this one should be "strongly"
> encouraged. Why is it more important that user agents provide a UI that
> allows extraction of XML snippets from an HTML document than it is that
> user agents offer to the user the ability to abort scripts that are taking
> all the computer's CPU?

And more importantly, why do you expect a UA implementor to pay more
attention to something that the spec 'strongly encourages' than
something that the spec 'encourages'?

As a UA implementor I think I tend to pay more attention to what *I*
think is important today than what the spec author thought was
important when the spec was written.

/ Jonas