Re: feedback on 4.10.4.2.8 The pattern attribute

Quoting Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>:

> Anne wrote:
>> Isn't the idea of new features that implementations have to change as well?
>
> It is not a question of the implementations changing, the question is,
> has this author conformance requirement been thought out in terms of
> what is the best way for AT to provide this information, I don't think
> it has.

So given that there is a need for authors to provide hints on the
allowed values of form controls and that it must be both available to
those who use AT and those who do not, what would you suggest as a
better solution for providing a hint as to the allowed values of the
input element? It seems like the "simplest thing that could possibly
work" solution is to provide no guidance here and assume that authors
will place the relevant hints in the main content of the page and in
the region of the control (maybe even in the label). But it is not
obvious that solution is better than the one in the spec.