Re: HTML5 Specification - List of sections and corresponding work estimates

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Nikunj Mehta wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008, Nikunj Mehta wrote:
>>> At the Webapps working group f2f, we also discussed the possibility of
>>> carving out offline and local storage sections of HTML5. Any thoughts
>>> about that?
>>
>> That would be part of the "Platform Core" spec (number 10 on my list).
>>
>> The Web Workers part of HTML5 (currently already in a separate document
>> but still part of HTML5) is another one that might be split out from
>> HTML5 and moved to Web Apps, but I volunteered to edit that draft
>> anyway so I didn't list it in the e-mail.
>
> Does structured storage have to be in the HTML5 spec? It seems that the
> entire section 5.10 is pretty decoupled from the rest of the
> specification.

It could be removed, but it wouldn't gain us much. It wouldn't speed up
editing the spec (those parts are pretty complete and I'd volunteer to
edit the spec even if it was split out), it wouldn't speed up getting to
REC (those are amongst the better-implemented parts of the spec), and it
wouldn't speed up other specs (there aren't any external dependencies on
these parts).

The list I posted wasn't intended to be complete -- the spec could be
split into any number of ways -- it was primarily intended to show ways to
split the spec that would be helpful, either by helping spread the editing
load, or helping accelerate this or other specs' rise to REC.