Re: <q>

On Oct 29, 2008, at 5:20 PM, Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:
> Thomas Broyer wrote:
>
>> (while, however, in lights of Ben Millard's message, I'd probably
>
> Would you ?  Surely the comma should /follow/ the second
> (closing) quotation mark, unless you are writing American
> English and following the Chicago Manual of Style's rather
> idiosyncratic ruling on this topic.

This again underscores the presentation nature of the quotation marks
and why we should be adhering to the separation of concerns design
principle here. In adhering to the separation of concerns, an author
should simply not need to know anything about style manuals as the
author composes the HTML document. HTML5 should be seeking to codify
that separation of concerns approach (even if we provide authors
mechanisms to opt out of that approach and provide their own quotation
marks).

In the long and tedious list of references, Ben MIllard cited there
was one gem[1] from Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis who always provides high-
grade ore in his messages. There he outlines 4 separate presentational
issues with quotations. All of those issues could be addressed by CSS
properties or @ rules. While these might only be finally able to
authors in a decade or so, from then on, this debate would finally be
closed. It would be up to users and authors how to style their
quotations, but in a fully abstracted manner separating that
presentation in CSS from the semantics in the HTML Q element.

Again, all of the issues Hawkes-Lewis raises in that message could be
addressed by CSS. Dedicated quotation @ rules could shape how the
quotation is presented.

a) kerning of trailing ::after quotation marks over trailing punctuation
b) omission of terminating quotation marks (e.g., French and Russian)
c) line marker quotation marks (e.g., French) which may already be
handled by proposed CSS line markers
d) block presentation of lengthy inline quotations

Again these are all issues for CSS to deal with. For HTML we should
simply provide the marks attribute (taking values of 'needed or
'provided') to give authors the option of following the HTML4 and
future convention ('needed' as the default value) or the IE <8 imposed
convention or for those waiting for the new CSS properties and @ rules
for Russian, French and other conventions requiring those CSS
enhancements ('provided'). Chris Wilson's additional proposal to
intelligently avoid the duplication of quotation marks with ::before
and ::after might also be worth pursing unless others can conceive of
serious problems generated by that approach (for instance authors
testing on browsers supporting duplication correction and not
realizing other UAs fail to void the duplication).

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2006Sep/0141.html>

relates to Issue 48 (Issue-48)