Re: <q>

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 11:32 PM, Justin James <j_james@mindspring.com> wrote:
> I misspoke... my problem is with the idea of <q> inserting any kind of
> punctuation.

I know where you're coming from. Worth remembering this handy css: quotes: none;
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#propdef-quotes

Others can use this to specify quote marks they want.
All catered for already in the specs.

> Huge problems with this, as noted above. In addition, what about UAs that
> use a default stylesheet different from what the author expects?

Author stylesheet should override UA.

> Or do not use CSS at all?

Any browsers in this category that would actually render quotes in the
first place?
I can understand the problem in theory, but I think it's something
we're unlikely to encounter.

> What if the quote contains a quote? Should the inside quote
> also use <q>? What if the inner contents come from elsewhere, like an
> authoring tool or are pulled from XML and inserted via JavaScript? No, I
> think that the idea of <q> rendering quotes, regardless of the rules it
> uses, is a very bad idea.

Yep, well, you don't have to use <q>. Use punctuation instead of markup.
Anyone tried <q> with and without specifying quotes in css with voice
browsers? It's fun.

ps: Thanks to those for answering the english/french nesting question.
Appreciate that.

cheers
Ben