Re: Accessibility of <audio> and <video>

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 9:36 AM, Jim Jewett <jimjjewett@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 5:18 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:
>> Then the videos aren't accessible. This is a problem,
>> that we should try to solve. HTML isn't involved in this
>> scenario -- the videos aren't accessible in SVG or
>> SMIL or anything else either.
>
> Agreed.  Do you propose to ban even linking to those videos?  If not,
> then we need some way to at least ameliorate the problem from the
> HTML.

What about including the alternative elsewhere within the HTML
document and linking them together with aria:describedBy and/or a
standard link...

<figure>
<video ... aria:describedBy="transcript"> ...</video>
</figure>

I have a question... are 'video links' a possibility under the spec?

If so, then I suggest we consider video@alt.

(However, I can't help feeling such links will prove more troublesome
than they are worth and kind of hope they are already disallowed).

cheers
Ben