Re: URIs in HTML5 and issues arising

Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, 2008-06-30 12:21 -0700:

> > On Jun 30, 2008, at 18:16, Julian Reschke wrote:
> >
> >> I personally dislike the idea of intermediates recoding, but that doesn't
> >> mean it doesn't happen...
>
> I have heard anecdotes of some Japanese portals transcoding various
> things to Shift-JIS, but only at about third hand, and I've never
> actually encountered this.  -Tim

I can attest to it being the case that transcoding was done in the
past for certain services within networks of some Japanese mobile
operators, but I can't say I know whether it's still happening or
not. I think it was more of an issue for e-mail than for their
browsing services. I seems to still be the case that many or most
e-mail client apps (MUAs) on handsets deployed in Japan don't
support UTF-8 (only ISO-2022-JP and Shift-JIS and maybe EUC-JP).

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/