Re: URIs in HTML5 and issues arising

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 09:10:35 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:
> The affected pages are already sort of broken, because the "URLs" they
> contain do not survive copy/paste (into email), and probably also not
> bookmarking. We really should consider breaking them totally to get out
> of the mess.

Are you sure that's true? When I create two documents:

data:text/html,<meta charset=iso-8859-1><a
href=http://example.org/?&uuml;>test</a>
data:text/html,<meta charset=utf-8><a
href=http://example.org/?&uuml;>test</a>

I get

http://example.org/?%FC
http://example.org/?%C3%BC

when copying and pasting the URL.

In Opera that is. It might be that other browsers do this differently and
then it would indeed lead to issues. But this at least proves it's a
solvable problem while not breaking those servers.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>