Re: UA norm for redirects (both META and http)

On Fri, 30 May 2008 10:24:08 +0100, Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>
wrote:

> On the issue of authoring misuse of 301s, is there some other litmus
> test we can apply (such as consistent response headers) that could
> help identify these misused 301s? If not, my inclination would be to
> simply treat all of the 301s the same along with 0 timeout META
> redirects (with perhaps the exception of handling some differences for
> extended redirect timeouts, as Boris suggested).

Google Maps uses 0 timeout in <noscript> for redirecting to static map
version:
<noscript><meta http-equiv=refresh content="0;
URL=http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.800651,-4.064941&spn=11.670476,25.202637&z=6&output=html"/></noscript>

It could be problematic to switch back to JS version if <meta> was
threated like 301 (and cached regardless of JS support).

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski