Re: Void elements in HTML (Was: ZIP-based packages and URI references into them ODF proposal)

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> Right, but we disagree on this, as noted earlier in this thread. I have to
>>> balance all the various needs here. Some of these needs are better satisfied
>>> by introducing lots of new void elements frequently; other needs
>> Which particular need requires introducing void elements?
>
> <command> would be basically unusable if you had to include an end tag
> each time.

Just allow "<command/>".

>>> Block-level elements have to be known by the parser so that optional
>> Just make the </p> end tags required in this case. Problem solved.
>
> This solves the problem for people who want to extend the language to add
> new block-level elements, and instead introduces a problem for authors who

The proposal was to require the end tag *in this case* (where elements
not defined in HTML5 are being introduced). How would it affect people
not interested in doing that?

BR, Julian