Re: Media element events

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Simon Pieters wrote:

> The spec doesn't have any event handler attributes for them, but has for
> seemingly all other events. Firefox seems to support at least <video
> onloadstart>. Catching the 'loadstart' event is not possible without a
> content event handler attribute if you have <video src> in the markup.
> XHR has DOM event handler attributes for progress events. So it seems a
> bit weird that <video> doesn't have them. Is it intentional?

The intent is that all events defined in HTML5 have corresponding event
attributes (on all elements and Window), I just haven't gone through and
actually defined them all yet.

> Another thing is that there are quite many events. The use cases for all
> events aren't clear to us. Maybe some of them could be grouped together
> into a single readystatechange event? Maybe also networkstatechange?
> Maybe some could be dropped?

Why is having a lot of events a problem?

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Eric Carlson wrote:

> I agree that there are a lot of events, and actually we have also been
> talking about coalescing all of the ready state and network state events
> into readystatechange and networkstatechange. One potential problem with
> this is that a script could miss state transitions because the
> readyState or networkState attributes may have changed between the time
> an event is posted and when the script's listener is triggered. I
> haven't thought this through enough to know if it will be a serious
> problem or not.

Experience with onreadystatechange with XMLHttpRequest also suggests that
it is a bad authoring experience, as people just end up doing:

   o.onreadystatechange = function(e) {
     if (o.readyState == x) {
     }
   }

...for the case "x" that they want. Having individual events just seems
saner given this idiom.