Re: [WF2] new attributes that often conflict with actual pages

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008, Hallvord R. M. Steen wrote:

> It is still a problem with Yahoo mail, breaking most buttons in their UI
> for a browser that supports "action". We work around this with a
> browser.js hack.
>
> ("Still a problem" means "I tested this again a couple of weeks ago and
> things were still broken without this patch". Obviously they may have
> gotten around to fixing it since then but I've seen it quite recently
> while reviewing our site patches.)
>
> We've also seen several sites being broken because they included stray
> "action" attributes by mistake. Sites we've broken by supporting .action
> include Brunei airlines, Nordea bank's online banking login,
> AirFaresBasement.com, American Express' login (some of these are still
> broken and patched BTW). I'm fairly sure I've also seen a few others
> that I don't remember and can't find at the moment.
>
> Obviously submitting forms randomly to wrong URLs makes any site where
> users want to get things done *completely* useless.
>
> Bottom line: implementing "required" has been really painful
> compatibility-wise. Any UA that wants to implement "required" as it is
> specified now is going to need hackish workarounds against compat
> problems.

(Do you mean required or action? Or both?)

This is certainly problematic. It's unclear what we should do. It's hard
to use another attribute name, since the whole point is reusing existing
ones... can we trigger this based on quirks mode, maybe? Though I hate to
add new quirks.