Re: Browser defaults should please the mass of authors

L. David Baron wrote:
> On Monday 2008-04-21 11:13 +0300, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> I think this is a bad recommendation. Browser defaults should please the
>> mass of *authors*. If this is in conflict with pleasing users, users should
>> have to opt in by flipping a pref.
>
> But users shouldn't have to become experts on which preferences to
> modify in order to get the best experience on the Web.  We should
> provide the best experience to new users as much as to experienced
> ones; this helps keep the Web usable to the masses rather than just
> experts.

The problem is that we have many years of experience telling us that
authors will do whatever they can to force new windows upon users, using
a variety of techniques ranging from target="_blank", to window.open()
to Flash based hacks that bypass popup blockers in browsers.

In many cases, authors have resorted to these measures just to get
around the validity of target="" in HTML 4.01 Strict (see the many
scripts that either insert target="" into the DOM, or attach event
listeners and use window.open()).  The reason for making _blank
conforming was to help reverse this situation.

By making target="_blank" non-functional by default, you're taking away
the least-user-hostile approach from authors and forcing them to use the
other alternatives, which just makes a bad situation worse.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/