Re: One more thought about requiring the alt to add to the pile

Hey henri,
>No. Now you are being so dogmatic about the alt attribute being there
that you are willing to suggest modal UI to work around it. That's
bad.

There is dogma on both sides of the debate, you  appear more dogmatic
about the idea of alt as optional, than I am to it being required, I
have publically stated that I am as yet unconvinced of the
desirability of a required alt. There is obviuosly no doubt in your
mind.

dogma anyone?

One thing I am commited to  is exploring all view points, before
making a decision via working group process. My thoights on the issue
have swayed quite considerably over the last few week, in light of
various ideas in the ongoing debate. And if it comes to a vote who
knows which way i will vote on the day.

There already are  "modal UI's" for most aspects of screen readers
content presentation, i think it is the nature of  presenting visual
UI's non visually or non linear content linearly.

a few examples in regards to graphics  i have to hand-
graphics options for JAWS
Tagged: JAWS says "graphic" and then reads alternative text
accompanying graphics, if available, and ignores graphics with no
alternative text.
All: JAWS says "graphic" when a graphic is encountered and reads the
alternate text, if available, or reads the image file name if
alternate text is not specified.
None: JAWS provides no information about graphics.

Window Eyes option:
Include Graphic With No Description – This option will provide the
user with the filename of an image that does not contain a description
(i.e ALT, TITLE, LONGDESC, etc.).

if you want more example give me a yell.

So what I am suggesting is not something new, but a
modification/addition of existing features within AT.

regards
steve

--
with regards