"Social engineering" Re: [html4all] Request for review of alt and alt value ...

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:40:05 +0200, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:

> The lack of requirement for alt in a few cases does not prevent alt text
> inspection tools being integrated into accessibility checkers or
> validators.  Social engineering on this issue can and should continue
> through other avenues, such as accessibility guidelines, advocacy and
> education; but not in the HTML5 specification.

In general I don't know that this is true. "Social engineering" (at the
most basic level, actually writing a spec as a group rather than having it
handed down from on high by some particular genius or monopolist or
whatever) is part of the toolkit available to achieve desirable technical
outcomes. The real question here is what approach to this particular piece
of social engineering best meets our goals.

cheers

Chaals